Before you can form a civil partnership, you need to make an appointment to give ‘notice’. This is where you state formally that you intend to form a civil partnership and you must provide documentation to prove your name, address, age and freedom to form a civil partnership.

Your notice appointment must take place in the registration district in which you live. If you live in Norfolk you can book an appointment online at any of our registration offices or by calling the Customer Service Centre on 0344 800 8020 Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. Please be aware that notice appointments will not be available in the Downham Market or Fakenham offices during March & April. If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English you should bring a friend or relative to interpret for you. Couples giving notice may not interpret for each other.  

If you live outside of England or Wales and are forming a civil partnership in Norfolk please email for more information. 

If one or both of you are subject to immigration control then notice must be given together at a designated registration office. In Norfolk only Norwich registration office is designated for the purposes of Civil Partnerships, you cannot attend another office. There are other designated offices throughout England and Wales. 

The standard period between giving notice and getting married or forming a civil partnership is 28 clear days. This may be extended to 70 days if one or both parties is a non EEA national or if you have had a foreign divorce. We recommend you give notice six - nine months before your ceremony.

Click here to check what documents you must bring to your Notice Appointment. 

If either of you are not British, or from the EEA or a Swiss National and you do not have diplomatic status, a certificate of right of abode or are visiting armed forces, then you are subject to immigration control. You will be required to bring certain documents with you, please contact us to find out which documents are acceptable.

For further information regarding immigration status please telephone the Home Office on 0870 606 7766 or visit their web site