If you're looking for information regarding what time to arrive for the ceremony, information regarding photographers and other questions you may have regarding the actual wedding day please watch the video below. 

Who can we have as witnesses? 

You are required to provide two witnesses to sign the register/schedule.  Ultimately the registrar on the day must be satisfied that any witness understands fully the nature and meaning of the ceremony being witnessed.

Please note civil partnership schedules only have space for two witnesses.

We are unable to provide witnesses for couples. 

What names do we use to sign the register/schedule?

You will need to sign the register/schedule with the name that you gave at your notice appointment. This is so that the signature matches the name entered in the register/schedule.

Will I have to change my name? 

This is a personal choice as there is no legal requirement for either party to change their name. If you do decide to change your name you have to inform organisations such as your bank and employer (you may have to produce the certificate at this stage). 

To change your surname to your spouse or civil partner's surname (or to double-barrel your joint surnames) on your passport or driving licence you need to fill in the relevant forms requesting the change and present your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Will changing my name affect travel plans?

If you wish to travel on honeymoon under your new name, you can use our PD2 - ‘Passports for newlyweds and civil partners’ Service to change your name on your passport. The form must be signed by the registrar or minister responsible for conducting your ceremony. You can apply for the new passport up to three months before your ceremony, but as you send your current passport with your application you’ll be unable to travel abroad until your wedding day. Your new passport is postdated and only valid from the date of your ceremony.

If you plan to visit a country that requires you to obtain a visa before you fly, you should leave your name change until after your trip as countries will not issue a visa to an postdated passport. It is also essential your flights are booked under the exact same name that appears in your passport at the time of your departure.

If you are getting married or forming your civil partnership at an Approved Venue or Registration Office in Norfolk the charge for the registrar completing form PD2 is £25.00.

  • Download, print and complete application form ‘Apply for a signed PD2’
  • Post to the address given on the form, supplying a phone number so that a member of the ceremony team can contact you to take payment over the phone
  • We will verify your booking, complete ‘Part 1’ of the PD2 form, and post it back to you within five days
  • Complete ‘Part 2’ of the PD2 form and attach it to your passport application

(Please note if your ceremony is cancelled or postponed after completing a PD2 we are obliged to inform the Passport office.)

Can my stepfather be named in the register/schedule?

You can have your stepfather named in the marriage register or civil partnership schedule if you wish, as long as he is, or was, married to your mother at some point in time. The registrar will confirm the details with you on the day of the ceremony and his name will then be entered in the register/schedule followed by the qualification 'stepfather'.

Do we have to re-register our children?

After the marriage or civil partnership of a child's natural parents you must re-register the child under Section 41 of the Births and Deaths Registration Act. You must obtain form LA1 from a registration office or download it at www.gov.uk. This must be completed and signed by both parents after the marriage or civil partnership ceremony and an appointment booked at a registration office, which one or both parents must attend. Certificates can then be purchased at the appointment.

Can we get married abroad?

If you would like to hold your ceremony abroad, the legal preliminaries that are required will vary from country to country - and will depend on your own nationality – so check with the authorities there. Follow the link for more advice: www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad